Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Long and hard road pays off...

Its been over year since my last post and things have really changed.
I stopped training full time at the OTC end of last year when a job opportunity came my way. I still continued to train, but only part time. I brought my bow with me when I traveled, which was every week and worked on bow strength exercises.  I spent my entire weekends at the Olympic Training Center in SD.
I continued this pattern until the summer of 2011. At that time I dedicated more time to training at the OTC and less time traveling for work. I had Olympic Trials in only 90 days it was time to buckle down. My training was working, I shot personal bests in Vermont making it into the 1/8th round with a final ranking of 8 in Olympic Rounds. Next up was US Nationals where I ended the year with a USA National Ranking of 15 for 2011.
At the end of the summer I was still traveling for work and it appeared that this would be the case for the foreseeable future. I decided that moving would be much easier then traveling across the country each week and would allow me more time to train. I was fortunate to find a FITA field only a couple of miles from my work. So...I'm moved, training and working. I spent a week at the OTC in SD the week before Olympic Trials. The training went well and I felt ready for Trials.
Olympic Trials was held in College Station, TX September 28th, 2011. Practice day went well and I was excited to shoot Trials. Top 16 here I come! Unfortunately I started the day slow, and fell behind in the rankings. At about the half way point I started to make a come back, my shots were strong and my confidence was improving. I was jumping up the leader board like no one else and was still hopeful of making it. In the end I was just too far behind and I couldn't catch back up. It was disappointing was satisfying all at the same time. The long hard road I took for 3 years had paid off, because I tried. I gave it my all and always looked forward. I turned what seemed an impossible dream in 2008 into realty. I may not have made it past round 1 of Olympic Trials, but I made it TO Olympic Trials. Next time it will be all the way! No year off, no complaining! I'm doing this folks and chronicling along the way. I want to make a World Team, I want to shoot a World Cup and I will take this journey to 2016 Rio!
Here we go....

No comments:

Post a Comment