Thursday, March 5, 2009

Field Conditions

Morley Field is not an ideal place to shoot in the Winter/Spring months. With the Mexican Grand Prix next week I needed to practice distance shooting (70/60/50/30m) on days I wasn't at the OTC.
My plan after Nationals was to take Monday off and head to Morley Field in Balboa Park on Tuesday and Wednesday to practice. Well...lets just start off by saying I did end up there on Tues and Weds, but it didn't go the way I planned it...
My first 2 arrows at 70m, while trying to site in (set site pin to distance/height of target) flew over the target and into the knee and thigh height of grass/weeds, stink beetles and mice. :) I spent an hour looking for them with no luck. I decided it best to shoot 50m so I wouldn't lose anymore arrows. BIG mistake, my first arrow shot left of the target. I was DONE at that point. I looked for another 30mins before deciding to go home and return the next day with a weed whacker and rake. You see, each arrow costs around $30 and I need 6 to shoot in Mexico next week and I was down to 4, I needed those other 3 arrows. I cant believe I lost them, it never occurred to me that I wouldn't hit the target, thats not like me.
So, believe it or not on Wednesday morning I headed over to the field with my battery powered weed wacker and rack. It took me an hour of wacking and racking to find all 3 and luckily all of them in good shape.
No more Morley Field, unless its dry and barren. Ahh, how many hard lessons are there in Archery. Every week theres another big lesson learned. Life is amazing.

Focus Today...Succeed Tomorrow
Today I will focus on my bow arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment