Monday, March 2, 2009

National Indoor Results

I want to start off my saying I shot decent most of the tournament. However, my score does not reflect this. :) I had equipment "failure" my plunger was unscrewed by nearly 1/3inch by the time I noticed it. (time to fork out the $ for a beiter)
I was grouping high far right all day yesterday and just couldn't figure out why. It came to the point when I just knew it wasn't me, my form felt fine, sure I was a bit nervous but nothing like the first day. To say the least I was confused at the results, along with my fellow shooter Aya (thx for Tips, btw), who was mystified as to why I was shooting right, even after what appeared to be a good shot.
This was definitely a lesson for me and I'm very grateful for the hard lessons I have been learning during my first few tournaments. I will now forever check all the components of my bow before shooting, daily.
It's a sigh of relief really. I knew I was better then the arrows on the target reflected and I knew I had to just keep shooting the way I knew how. It was nice to get confirmation that it was my equipment and not me. (for those of you who aren't familiar with a plunger, I'll post a photo)

I will not shoot Tulare, CA again, the environment is not condusive to a beginner or for someone to perform at there best imo. For Nationals in 2010 I will shoot New Mexico.
I don't know how to explain the emotions that I go through during the tournament. I assume it's what most everyone goes through when there a newbie like me. If you had asked me on Saturday how I felt I would've told you it was an awful feeling. The inability to control your fear, nerves, mind or whatever it was is crazy and not something I am accustomed to. Thank goodness for Coach Mel Nichols (Pineapple Archery) who was quick to contact me after the tournament and share tools and tips that would help me un-spiral my craziness and be prepared for my mental game on Sunday. THANK YOU, I was as prepared as I knew how to be on Sunday and was 10 times better mentally because of your help.
I also want to say thank you to my mom for her encouragement on Saturday evening.

Focus Today...Succeed Tomorrow
Tomorrow I will focus on 70 meters

No comments:

Post a Comment